venerdì 9 marzo 2012

TUTORIAL: BOOST YOUR BLUE BOX !

So I had the chance to mod a Blue Box, as everyone knows this pedal is cool as hell but it has a very low output wich makes it unplayable in a band context..
There's already a popoular mod called the "C11mod", wich is known to bring the volume up a bit  restoring some hi-end that C11 shuts down.
The fact is that's not enough if you want to play it live and it will also change the overall sound of the pedal so, the best mod  you can actually do is to raise the output  with a booster placed at the end of the circuit...it's quite easy if you got a bit of DIY experience but there's no tutorial so I decided to make my own and share it!





STEP 1: Take the PCB apart, find where C12 is and remove it.



STEP 2: Build your favourite booster, I built a SHO clone on a stripboard, it's transparent it has a LOT of volume and few parts. The two wires are V+ and GND, while for the input and output I soldered two irong lugs so I can mount it directly on the PCB so it would be very stable and it won't rattle once you put the enclosure back on.
You don't need any GAIN control since it would be just before the VOLUME knob on the BB.

 
 


STEP 3: Connect the two wires to the DC socket pins on the back of the board. 
Now you're ready to go and be careful, this thing now can destroy things!!

2 commenti:

  1. Fantastic, I've been looking for a gain solution to my bluebox. Could you post a link to the sho clone schematic? All the ones I've found online seem to have way more components. Or if you have a schematic you wouldnt mind sharing I could send you my email address.

    Thanks
    Brian

    RispondiElimina
  2. Did this up with an LPB-1 circuit on vero with a 100k trimpot. Really takes care of the volume issue, even adding a pretty generous amount of boost.
    Highly recommended.

    Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    RispondiElimina